Monday, May 25, 2009

A Grandfather found and almost lost

After four years of living with my dad and his illnesses I had hit my limit with his mental illness. I totally fell apart in his doctors office. She listened to both of us and was a huge help. She prescribed medication for my dad. The difference was amazing. He became social and calm, oh he still had outbursts but overall was wonderful. My children finally had a grandfather they could be in a room with. My baby and him became so close it brought tears to my eyes.

Last week my dad went in for a heart catheterization. Totally routine, he has had six of them over the years. He had my drop him off at the hospital and told me they would call when he was done. I received a call about an hour later. He needed a bypass that day. Again I was told routine no worries they would call with the time so I could be there. Two hours later a nurse calls to ask if I plan on being there for this major surgery. I was completely baffled. "What major surgery? I was told by the doctor the hospital would call me to let me know what time the bypass would be started.". She tells me to wait for the doctors call. I get a call five minutes later. The bypass was now a double bypass and two heart valve replacements. I was in total shock. I was told to get there immediately. In shock I drove to the hospital where my niece was waiting for me. We were rushed in to see him and told to say goodbye while we could.

He survived the surgery but has a long road to recovery. My children are very shaken by this. They finally have had a chance to get to know their grandfather and he was almost taken. Maddie, the baby, has not eaten breakfast since he was hospitalized. They sat and ate together and chatted in the morning. I am very grateful for the peace that has been in this home the last few months. Should my dad pass I can at least know my children got to know someone that was lost for a while. I have learned two things from this. The first is always ask for help, don't try and ride it out. The second is cherish the times you have.

No comments: