Friday, September 28, 2007

The Grub

The grub has grown to about 4 inches now. One of the boys says it looks like the things from the movie "Tremors". I really don't want some man eating, vibration feeling grub with a bad attitude around this house. I have visions of this grub hatching into a huge beetle, similar to the one I battled upstairs a few months ago. Caleb holds this grub and talks to it. He is much more chatty with it than he is most people we meet. Perhaps if people wore bug outfits he would be more inclined to speak to them.

Caleb loves bugs, we have a huge spider web on the side of the house that is home to a daddy long legged spider. I had to take down a lot of the webbing the other day when a well intentioned child threw chicken scratch into the web. Caleb was sure I would kill the spider, I gently shooed it out of the way and took the food loaded web down. I noticed the spider is already busy building a new one. I also noticed that spider is getting big. I am not really afraid of bugs. After three sons it is hard to be afraid of much of anything.

Andrew and Evan and even Caleb feel I am very unfair for not allowing a scorpion in the house. I can't stand scorpions, no way to warm up to them. They said they could always sneak one in. Not happening I have a radar for these things. Should one get in the house and escape I would not handle this well. One house evacuated, tented and sprayed. I don't care who's pet "Fluffy", the scorpion is.


1 comment:

Maddy said...

I know what you mean. Lizards aren't as bad as scorpions but they never match their names very well - cuddles, spotty and the like.

We found a praying mantis in the middle of the floor a couple of days ago - 3 inches long that thing was! He was dubbed Manfred, until his [no doubt] grateful release.
Cheers