Monday, August 6, 2007

Cleaning out- old memories

My dad became very ill in February resulting in a long hospital stay. When the hospital felt he could be released, not an opinion I shared, he came to live with us. They let him out unable to walk with a draining leg wound and a but unaware of what was going on around him. He has since recovered and other than needing daily help with his compression stockings and making sure he eats well he gets along fine.

Now we face cleaning out his two homes. They sit side by side, one was lived in for 40 years the other the last 10 years. This has taken months of work just to get part of one home empty. Along the way I have come across things I had never known of or forgotten. Things he won't part with, even though I see no use for them. Now my home is piled with boxes, my garage over filled and working on a storage unit. I have found letters from my paternal grandfather to my folks about my grandmother when she was diagnosed with cancer and to the end of her life. I have learned more from the letters than from any family talks. Birthday, anniversary, and birth announcements have brought back many memories. Rocks tucked here and there, we are rock collectors from way back, bring back memories for my dad and myself. Scarves my mom wore, handkerchiefs also stir up memories. I will have to blog on those with photos as they brought back so many memories. Now we must make up our minds once and for all, stay here in the southern end of the state or go north. My dad is from the northern end of the state and longs to return at the same time he drags his feet on this. My husband and myself prefer the northern end but are open either way. We are stuck in Nevada as my husband is employed by the state.

We still have another house to go through. I look forward to seeing more things and yet dread it at the same time.

1 comment:

Maddy said...

I don't envy you that task one little bit. Every time we go 'home' I help my mum try and 'declutter' but it's so hard on her.
As you say, it's not just that it's a 'chore' it's the little 'unexpecteds' that slips your heart into your throat.
Best wishes and lots of energy